Here's a summary of the American Idol Audition process for Season 12 that applies to New Orleans and to other audition cities except for the venue.
The Auditions for Idol Season 12come to New Orleans on Tuesday, July 17, 2012. Hopefuls should register on Sunday and Monday, July 15th and 16th, at the New Orleans Arena and return to the Arena for the audition line-up on Tuesday.
Maybe someone from New Orleans or Louisiana will be the next American Idol. We surely have more musical talent than other places. A Louisiana favorite son, Joshua Ledet , was an audience and judge favorite in the last competition and came close to winning the title.
American Idol's Friendly Advice:
As always it won't just be local singers trying out at the New Orleans cattle-call. The American idol website about the New Orleans auditions, includes this line: "It's summer, so remember that it could be very hot outside!" That's a completely unnecessary reminder for anyone from here or anywhere in the South, and so it's a clear indication that many people from far away are expected.
American Idol suggests everyone bring water to stay hydrated, a hat, and sunscreen . There's no mention of an umbrella, as it's one of the items that might be banned.
The website also has this nugget of maternal advice: "Remember, breakfast is the most important meal fo the day and this could be the most important audition of your life!"
Who can audition for American Idol 12?
- Legal U.S. citizens or permanent U.S. residents who are eligible to work full-time in the U.S.
- 15 - 28 years old; Born Jun 6 1983 - June 5, 1997.
- Auditioners from past years can audition if they did not reach levels listed on the website.
- You can try out in more than one city.
- You cannot participate if you or your immediate family (that even includes ex-spouses siblings and step-kids) or members of your household (I guess that means your live-in maid and such) have job connections with listed entities as described on the website.
- Eventually certain contracts that could limit the exclusive Idol contracts could disqualify you, but that won't be checked for these auditions.
Where will the Idol Auditions and Registrations in New Orleans be held?
Everything is at the New Orleans Arena, downtown right by the Superdome. (Official address: 1501 Girod St.)
The front of line will be at the North 100 Entrance.
Parking is $5 at the Garage entrance No. 5 . No in and out.
Bringing a Guest:
You can bring someone with to your audition, but the guest must also come with you to Registration and get a wristband and a ticket for Audition day.
During Registration, you (and your guest) receive assigned seat tickets and a wristband, Don't remove the wristband - it must be on you for Audition Day.
Bring the required documents/items to the New Orleans Arena sometime during the 2-day Registration, along with your guest if desire one. If you are a minor, you must bring your parent or legal guardian (and any special required items).
American Idol makes no guarantees about auditioning, but earlier registering apparently ups the chance of getting a spot on Audition Day. Depending on the response and the circumstances, there may be late registration available on the morning of the Audition, but it's much better to register during the two Registration Days.
Get in line by 5 a.m. Bring all your required items (signed form, two ID"s, citizen/resident proof) your ticket, wristband,, optional guest with ticket and wristband. Auditions start about 8 a.m. and everyone needs to be in their assigned seat by then. Break a leg!!!
Before you go:
- Download and print forms from the Idol website. Fill out all completely, honestly and sign.
- Gather two forms of ID that show proof of age and a photo, as well as proof of U.S. citizenship or permanent U.S. residency. You're required to bring the ID's on both days, to the Registration and the Audition, and apparently the citizenship/residency documentation on Audition Day. Certain unusual situations may required notarized documents.
- Get ready musically: Prepare 2-3 songs to sing a capella (Although you can play instruments in free time, no musical instruments are allowed in these auditions.
- Review the rules, details and fine print on the website. If under 18 read the requirements that apply especially carefully to be sure you comply.
A Few of the Rules:
- No overnight camping.
- No children under age 5 are allowed in the venue.
- No clothes or visible tatoos with designer names, sport teams, logos, copyrighted images, celebrities or cartoons, inappropriate words or messages.
- Check the website's list of banned items that might get you kicked out of line and disqualified including hair dryers, video cameras, weapons (including pocket knives), alcohol, non-folding chairs candles, fireworks, and animals. There's also a list of things that MAY be prohibited.
- Don't remove or tamper with the wristband between Registration and your Audition.
Under 18 Issues:
Anyone under 18 must bring a parent or legal guardian to the Registration AND to the Auditions. AND it must be the SAME person. A legal guardian must bring documentation (such as court orders). There is a way to have a temporary guardian for the process with certain notarized documents. Check the website for details.
After the Audition:
- There may be additional auditions in New Orleans after Audition Day for those who made it through the first cattle-call.
- If you didn't make the cut and are sure you should have, traveling to an American Idol Auditions in another city is still a possibility.
- After your audition, email your story to email@example.com and it may appear on this website in the future.
- Check the pages of information, rules, and suggestions on the official website. And check the website yourself it often - American Idol suggests daily - for updates and change.
- For more information about American Idol now and in the past, check out About.com's Reality TV American Idol page.
- Meanwhile, there's a Stage Door Idol singing competition going on in New Orleans this summer at the National World War II Museum in the Warehouse District, with rounds in July and a big finale on August 14, 2012.