Below is the 2013 Parade Schedule for Mardi Gras in New Orleans which is weird this year, mainly because of the Super Bowl being in New Orleans right in the middle of Carnival season.
Among the big changes: One whole weekend of parades was moved due the Super Bowl being in New Orleans this year. Also, a couple of West Bank parades will be rolling uptown this year.
Mardi Gras Day is early this year, so it's a short season anyway without the changes. It's sure to be an exciting Mardi Gras season packed with activity, especially when you add all the Super Bowl events and crowds which will be in the mix.
Fat Tuesday, which is the day before Ash Wednesday and the last day of Carnival season. However nowadays, the term Mardi Gras has come to be used for the entire season of parades and Carnival revelry. King Cakes on 12th Night are now said to kick off Mardi Gras instead of Carnival season. So Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday is often called Mardi Gras Day to distinguish it from the season.
Here's a list of the dates of Mardi Gras in future years, as well as an explanation of how Mardi Gras Day is determined each year. It's related to the Easter calculations. .
For more about Mardi Gras in New Orleans, check out my collection of Mardi Gras articles. New information and articles will be added to this article hub throughout the Carnival season. The official New Orleans tourism website is a good source for route maps, parade details and much more about Mardi Gras and New Orleans.
As soon as the canine krewes provide the information, all of of the details about the dog parades in New Orleans and nearby will be updated. The dog Krewe of Barkus is listed in the general parade schedule. The the dog parades, which are held in Gretna, Metairie, and Mandeville, are now scheduled after Mardi Gras Day (and the true Carnival season) to avoid conflicts with people parades for participants.
To get in the spirit, browse these pictures from Mardi Gras Day last year.
So - without any further ado -here's the 2013 Mardi Gras parade line-up for New Orleans and its suburbs:
12th NIGHT - WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 6:
- Joan of Arc Birthday Medieval Parade - French Quarter from Bienville statue to Joan's statue, 7 p.m.
- Phunny Phorty Phellows Masked 12th Night Streetcar Ride - Mardi Gras Kick-Off - Carrollton St. Charles Avenues , 7 p.m.
SATURDAY, January 19:
- Krewe du Vieux - French Quarter, 6:30 p.m.
- Krewe of Delusion (Follow du Vieux)
SUNDAY, January 20:
- Lil Rascals (Childrens Krewe) - Metairie, noon
- Krewe of Cork - walking wine-lovers parade - French Quarter, 3 p.m.
- Krewe of Oshun - Uptown, 6:00 p.m.
- Krewe of Cleopatra - UPTOWN this year (usually West Bank)
- Excaliber - Metairie - 7 p.m.
- --followed by Atlas
- Eve - Mandeville - 7 p.m.
SATURDAY January 26:
- Adonis, West Bank, 11:45
- Bilge (water parade - Slidell - noon
- Krewe of Pontchartrain - Uptown, 2:00 p.m.
- --followed by Choctaw - Uptown(formerly West Bank)
- Krewe of Sparta - Uptown, 6:00 p.m.
- --followed by Krewe of Pygmalion
- Titans - Slidell, 6:30 p.m.
- --followed by Mona Lisa and Moonpie - Slidell
- Olympia - Covington, 6 p.m.
- Chewbacchus (Sci-Fi krewe) - Marigny - 8 pm
SUNDAY January 27:
- Krewe of Alla - West Bank - 11:30 a.m.
- Krewe of Carrollton - Uptown, 12:00 p.m.
- Persius followed by Dionysus - Slidell, 1 p,m.
- Krewe of King Arthur - Uptown - 1:15 p.m.
- Krewe of Thor - Metairie, 2 p.m.
- Mystic Krewe of Barkus (One of several area Dog Parades) - French Quarter, 2 p.m.
FRIDAY FEBRUARY 1:
- Selene - Slidell - 6:30 p.m.
- Eve - Mandeville, 7 p.m.
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 2:
- Knights of Nemisis, Chalmette, 1 p.m.
- Alla - West Bank, noon
- Caesar- Metairie, 6 p.m.
- Olympia - Covington, 6 p.m.
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 6:
- Krewe of Ancient Druids - Uptown. 6:30 p.m.
- --followed by Krewe of Nyx
THURSDAY FEBRUARY 7:
- Krewe of Babylon - Uptown, 5:45 p.m.
- -- followed by Krewe of Muses ...
- -- and Krewe of Chaos
FRIDAY FEBRUARY 8:
SATURDAY FEBRUARY 9:
SUNDAY FEBRUARY 10:
- Krewe of Okeanos - Uptown, 11:00 a.m.
- --followed by Krewe of Mid-City.
- ---and Krewe of Thoth
- Krewe of Bacchus - Uptown, 5:15 p.m.
- Krewe of Napoleon - Metairie, 5:30 p.m.
LUNDI GRAS - FEBRUARY 11:
- Krewe of Proteus - Uptown, 5:15 p.m.
- -- followed by Krewe of Orpheus
- Krewe of Hera - Metairie, 6:30 p.m.
- -- followed by Krewe of Zeus
- LUNDI GRAS celebration - downtown New Orleans
MARDI GRAS ! FEBRUARY 12:
- Krewe of Zulu - Uptown, 8:00 a.m.
- Rex - King of Carnival & his Krewe - Uptown, 10:00 a.m.
- --followed by Elks Orleans truck floats
- --followed by Crescent City truck floats
- Krewe of Argus - Metairie, 10 a.m.
- --followed by the Jefferson truck floats and the Elks truck floats