Below you'll find the full 2012 Parade Schedule for Mardi Gras in New Orleans including suburban parades in Metairie, in Chalmette, on the West Bank (Algiers and Gretna), and on the North Shore (Mandeville, Slidell, and Covington). This complete metropolitan area listing includes Mardi Gras parades in Orleans Parish, Jefferson Parish, St. Bernard Parish, and St. Tammany Parish.
Mardi Gras is actually one single day, Fat Tuesday, which is the day before Ash Wednesday and the last day of Carnival season. However nowadays, the term Mardi Gras has come to be used for the entire season of parades and Carnival revelry. King Cakes on 12th Night are now said to kick off Mardi Gras instead of Carnival season. So Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday is often called Mardi Gras Day to distinguish it from the season.
In 2012, Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday or Mardi Gras Day is February 21st. Here's a list of the dates of Mardi Gras in future years, as well as an explanation of how Mardi Gras Day is determined each year. It's related to the Easter calculations. .
For more about Mardi Gras in New Orleans, check out my collection of Mardi Gras articles. New information and articles will be added to this article hub throughout the Carnival season. The official New Orleans tourism website is a good source for route maps, parade details and much more about Mardi Gras and New Orleans.
As soon as the canine krewes provide the information, all of of the details about the dog parades in New Orleans and nearby will be updated. The dog Krewe of Barkus is listed in the general parade schedule. The ther dog parades, which are held in Gretna, Metairie, and Mandeville, have recently been scheduled after Mardi Gras Day (and the true Carnival season) to avoid conflicts with people parades for participants.
To get in the spirit, browse these pictures from Mardi Gras Day last year.
So - without any further ado -here's the 2012 Mardi Gras parade line-up for New Orleans and its suburbs:
12th NIGHT - WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 6:
- Joan of Arc Birthday Medieval Parade - French Quarter from Bienville statue to Joan's statue, 7 p.m.
- Phunny Phorty Phellows Masked 12th Night Streetcar Ride - Mardi Gras Kick-Off - Carrollton & St. Charles Avenues , 7 p.m.
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 4:
- Krewe du Vieux - French Quarter, 6:30 p.m.
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 5:
- Lil Rascals (Childrens Krewe) - Metairie, noon
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 10:
- Krewe of Cork - walking wine-lovers parade - French Quarter, 3 p.m.
- Krewe of Oshun - Uptown, 6:00 p.m.
- Krewe of Cleopatra - West Bank - 6:30 p.m.
- Excaliber - Metairie - 7 p.m.
- --followed by Atlas
- Eve - Mandeville - 7 p,m.
SATURDAY FEBRUARY 11:
- Choctaw - West Bank, 11 a.m.
- --followed by Adonis
- Krewe of Pontchartrain - Uptown, 2:00 p.m.
- Nemisis - Chalmette, 2 p.m.
- Krewe of Sparta - Uptown. 6:00 p.m.
- --followed by Krewe of Pygmalion
- Caesar - Metairie, 6 p.m.
- Olympia - Covington, 6 p.m.
SUNDAY FEBRUARY 12:
- Krewe of Alla - West Bank - 11:30 a.m.
- Krewe of Carrollton - Uptown, 12:00 p.m.
- Dionysus - Slidell, 1 p,m.
- Krewe of King Arthur - Uptown - 1:15 p.m.
- Krewe of Rhea - Metairie, 2 p.m.
- --followed by Thor
- Mystic Krewe of Barkus (One of several area Dog Parades) - French Quarter, 2 p.m.
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 15:
- Krewe of Ancient Druids - Uptown. 6:30 p.m.
- --followed by Krewe of Nyx
THURSDAY FEBRUARY 16:
- Krewe of Babylon - Uptown, 5:45 p.m.
- -- followed by Krewe of Muses ...
- -- and Krewe of Chaos
FRIDAY FEBRUARY 17:
- Knights of Hermes - Uptown, 6:00 p.m.
- --followed by Krewe d 'Etat
- --and Krewe of Morpheus
- Krewe of Centorians - Metairie, 7 p.m.
- Selene - Slidell - 6:30 p.m.
- (Northshore's) Orpheus - Mandeville, 7 p.m.
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 18:
- Tucks - Uptown, 11:00 a.m.
- --followed by Krewe of Iris
- NOMTOC - West Bank, 9:45 a.m.
- Endymion - Mid City, 4:15 p.m.
- Isis - Metairie, 6:30 p.m.
SUNDAY FEBRUARY 19:
- Krewe of Okeanos - Uptown, 11:00 a.m.
- --followed by Krewe of Mid-City.
- ---and Krewe of Thoth
- Krewe of Bacchus - Uptown, 5:15 p.m.
- Krewe of Napoleon - Metairie, 5:30 p.m.
LUNDI GRAS - FEBRUARY 20:
- Krewe of Proteus - Uptown, 5:15 p.m.
- -- followed by Krewe of Orpheus
- Krewe of Zeus - Metairie, 6:30 p.m.
- LUNDI GRAS celebration - downtown New Orleans
MARDI GRAS ! FEBRUARY 21:
- Krewe of Zulu - Uptown, 8:00 a.m.
- Rex - King of Carnival & his Krewe - Uptown, 10:00 a.m.
- --followed by Elks Orleans truck floats - Uptown, 11:30 a.m.
- --followed by Crescent City truck floats
- Krewe of Argue - Metairie, 10 a.m.
- --followed by the Jefferson truck floats and the Elks truck floats